Thursday, July 30, 2009

Oh the places you'll go....


My claim to fame is that my first spoken word was "book." Definitely an intellectual step up from "Mommy" and "Daddy", don't you think?

I loved books so much, that I asked for them all the time, to be read to of course (I wasn't THAT smart, ok?) Well, Dr. Seuss was always a favorite. I read (when I finally reached that age) One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and Green Eggs and Ham over and over and over again until I had the whole book memorized. I eventually moved on to other Dr. Seuss books such as the Sneetches (I would have wanted a star on my belly if possible) and Oh! The Places You'll Go, but I was always drawn to The Lorax. The story of the big bad Onceler (who we never do see) and the Truffula Trees and the far end of town where the grickle grass grows is fascinating and still today serves as a wonderful introduction for youth to protecting the environment.


Well there's great news for Lorax and Seuss film fans everywhere. Yesterday, Variety reported that Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment will produce a 3-D CG animated feature of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax. The target release date for the film is March 2, 2012, the posthumous birthday of Theodor Seuss Geisel, who wrote under the Dr. Seuss pen name. I think the release is timely because of the "green" trend at the moment.

Dr. Seuss has hit the big screen a few times in recent years in The Grinch, Cat in the Hat and Horton Hears a Who, but along with the excitement are the critics. Seuss' widow, Audrey Geisel has even spoken of her displeasure and has refused any more live-action adaptations of Seuss books. Either way, I find it fascinating when popular culture works have lasting power through generations. The lessons in his books are endearing and can be carried through your life.

All I know is, when Lorax hits the theatres, I'll speak for the trees.


No comments: